Charging a battery with a PWM Charge controllers solar system is a unique and difficult challenge. The history for on-off regulators has been early battery failures. Increasing load disconnects, and growing user dissatisfaction. PWM controllers has recently surfaced as the first significant advance in solar battery charging.
PWM Charge controllers use technology similar to other modern high-quality battery chargers. When a battery voltage reaches the regulation setpoint. The PWM controllers programming slowly reduces the charging current. This is to avoid heating and gassing of the battery. Charging continues to return the maximum amount of energy to the battery in the shortest time. The result is a higher charging efficiency, rapid recharging, and a healthy battery at full capacity
In addition, this new method of solar battery charging promises some very interesting and unique benefits from the PWM pulsing. These include:
- Ability to recover lost battery capacity and desulfate a battery.
- Dramatically increase the charge acceptance of the battery.
- Maintain high average battery capacities (90% to 95%) compared to on-off regulated state-of- charge levels that are typically 55% to 60%.
- Equalize drifting battery
- Reduce battery heating and
- Automatically adjust for battery
- Self-regulate for voltage drops and temperature effects in solar